Free rides to your appointments
If you need emergency transportation (an ambulance), call 911.
Healthy Blue can arrange and pay for your transportation to help you get to and from your appointments for Medicaid-covered care. This service is free to you. If you need an attendant to go with you to your doctor appointment, or if your child (age 18 or younger) is a member of the plan, transportation is also covered for the attendant, parent, or guardian. Nonemergency transportation includes personal vehicles, taxis, vans, mini-buses, mountain area transports and public transportation.
Free rides to your appointments
Accessing the care you need, when you need it, is an important part of staying healthy. And we make it easy. Starting July 1, 2021, as a member of Healthy Blue, you can receive free rides to and from your doctor’s office, pharmacy, and other providers of covered services.
Download and print out your reimbursement form(s) now.
How to set up your ride
Call ModivCare at 855-397-3602, Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time. Be sure to call at least 48 hours (two days) before your appointment, but not more than 30 days in advance of your appointment. If you need to cancel a ride, call this same number.
For information about your ride after you set it up, call Ride Assist at 855-397-3602. Use this number to activate a Will Call pickup, or if your transportation is late for a scheduled pickup. Use this number, too, if you need to make a change or cancel a previously scheduled reservation.
When you call, have this information ready:
- Your member ID number (found on your Healthy Blue member ID card)
- Address, ZIP code and phone number where you want to be picked up
- Name, address, ZIP code and phone number where you want to be dropped off
- Date, time and length of your appointment
- Name, address, and phone number of the doctor or provider you’ll be seeing
- Type of appointment you have
- If you need an ambulance to transport you
- If you have an assistant coming to help you at your appointment
- If you use a wheelchair or other mobility equipment
- If you have a transportation provider you use on a regular basis
- For children age 16 and younger, the name of the adult who will go with the child
What we expect of you:
- Be ready at the designated place for transportation pickup or cancel the transportation request timely.
- Follow the instructions of the driver.
- Respect and not violate the rights of other passengers and the driver, such as not creating a disturbance or engaging in threatening language or behavior.
A no-show is when you do not go to your medical appointment. This includes members who are issued gas vouchers and mileage reimbursement.
- You must be ready and at the designated place for pickup at the time required by the transportation vendor.
- You must complete your trip and show evidence in order to be issued mileage reimbursement.
- You must call the number provided for trip requests to cancel scheduled transportation at least 24 hours in advance. Cancellations made less than 24 hours in advance may count as one no-show, unless there was good cause for the cancellation.
Members who miss three or more trips within three months may be suspended from transportation services for up to 30 days.
Help for urgent trips
If you need transportation services right away, call ModivCare at 855-397-3602. Our after-hours call center is staffed 24 hours to handle ride assistance and urgent reservation requests (including discharges) 365 days a year. Urgent trips include sick visits, hospital discharge requests and life-sustaining treatment.
Questions about your ride
If you have questions about a ride you set up or need to cancel it, call 855-397-3602.